Join us in Albany on Monday, June 7th at 9:30 AM for a BIG mobilization demanding our lawmakers pass the New York Health Act THIS legislative session!
We are the closest we have ever been to winning universal healthcare for all New Yorkers. New Yorkers voted out the Independent Democratic Conference (IDC) with candidates that ran on the NY Health Act! New Yorkers elected a Democratic supermajority. New Yorkers pressured our legislators to pass the most progressive budget this state has ever seen. This beautiful movement made history in March by reintroducing the NY Health Act with majority support in the state legislature to make healthcare a right in our state by establishing a universal single-payer healthcare system. Everyone would have quality healthcare regardless of age, employment, or immigration status. ALL healthcare would be covered (including dental, mental healthcare, vision, long-term care and prescriptions). It would be a huge step towards health justice in New York, and around the country.
We need to keep up the pressure and make one massive final push before June 10 to demand the Senate and Assembly Leaders to bring the New York Health Act to a vote THIS session. Join us!
Healthcare stories are our most powerful tool in the fight to win healthcare for all. If you have a story about how the healthcare system has failed you, or how you have been impacted by the pandemic, we want to hear it! We will read your stories as we call for a vote on the New York Health Act at the Capitol.
June 7th To Dos:
- Register to let us know you would like to join: http://bit.ly/June7HealthActAction - it has many detailed questions that allows us to make more thoughtful plans about transportation, food, supplies, actions. You can also ask questions in this form. Please register by Tues. June 1.
- Look out for final registration closer to June 7th to confirm you are coming - this will have finalized details so you can confirm you are still joining.
- Invite your organization’s membership, community, family, friends. Here is a toolkit!
- Amplify on social media: Tweet, Facebook post, Instagram post
- Share your story to be read at the Albany Capitol! Fill out this form: www.nyhcampaign.org/story
- If you want to participate in civil disobedience (risk arrest) or support it (marshal, jail support, legal observance, etc), be sure to participate in the Direct Action training Mon. May 31, 6:30pm - 9:00pm. If you have not done so already, you MUST register for the June 7 action (see #1) to receive the registration information for the direct action training. The training will be recorded but your attendance is strongly encouraged. All questions related to logistics and legal risks related to the direct action will be addressed on May 31st.
- Join the Orientation Meeting Thurs. June 3, 8:00pm-9:00pm - learn final details and be able to ask questions. RSVP here to receive the Zoom details.
- Make some signs! Consider joining partner NYS Poor People’s Campaign’s Virtual Art Build & Song Share Wed. June 2nd, 6:00pm-9:00pm. RSVP here.
- Donate! It costs about $50 per person to go to Albany for a big mobilization. No amount is too small or too large! www.nyhcampaign.org/donatejune7
- See you in Albany Mon. June 7 - whether digitally or in person!
June 7th Overview Schedule (subject to change):
9:30am: Everyone arrives to Albany for Morning Meeting & Food!
10:30am: March, Stop for speakout at Rep Tonko’s Office with Poor People’s Campaign (Congressional Resolution to end poverty - includes single-payer healthcare!), March continues
11:30am: Rally, Speakout & Die-In to #PassNYHealth
1:00pm-4:00pm: Arts & Culture, Jail Support, Food, Rest, Art Build
4:00/5:00pm: Buses/cars go back home