Alison Wallach commented on Share Your Healthcare Story 2022-03-18 09:12:44 -0400At the height of the omicron surge in NYC, I took two COVID tests, one week apart, at a city-run NYC Health + Hospitals testing site in Brooklyn. Despite the NYC Health + Hospitals website ensuring that the COVID tests are free of charge, I have received a bill from my insurance company for almost $450 for each of the two tests. I have been going back and forth with my insurance, fighting the charge. It is absolutely reprehensible that anyone would have to pay anything to receive a COVID test to protect themselves, their loved ones, and their community. How will the pandemic ever turn a corner if people skip COVID tests in fear of a medical bill they can’t afford? We should be wary of spreading the virus, not breaking the bank.
In the face of the ongoing public health crisis, we must keep organizing for the healthcare we need.
A central piece of the Campaign for NY Health strategy to win healthcare for all is uplifting the voices and leadership of New Yorkers who have been hurt by the existing pay-or-die healthcare system. Please share your healthcare story, and we will followup with you about ways to be more involved in the fight for guaranteed universal healthcare.
- Did you or a loved get COVID? What happened?
- Has there been a time when you or a loved one needed healthcare but weren’t able to get it? Why? What happened?
- Are you a healthcare worker who has seen patients delay care due to cost or insurance barriers?
- Are you concerned about losing your union health benefits due to job loss or privatization?
- Have you lost a job that provided you or your family with insurance coverage?
Are you struggling with the high cost of medical bills or medical debt?
Thank you for being part of the movement to win healthcare for all.Share Your Story
Alison Wallach donated 2021-11-30 21:31:42 -0500