Thank you to Dr. Sunny Aslam in Syracuse for compiling these helpful tips for writing Letters to the Editor! Scroll down to see New Yorkers' Letter for New York Health!
Write a Letter for New York Health
One of the most effective ways of communication about our work to #PassNYHealth and #healthcare4all is by writing letters to the editor of your local daily media. Newspapers and websites appreciate getting letters and printing them, though they often are unable to print all of them. Letters allow us to reach a wide audience, and educate them on critical issues. It can help activate others to get involved and stand up for universal healthcare. We also know that elected officials watch closely when their name is in print. With letters, we can call them out or let them know what we want them to do.
To increase the likelihood of getting printed, it often helps to:
- Refer to a healthcare article recently printed, even if only slightly related to heath care. These days this isn't hard with healthcare in the news so often.
- Follow all guidelines for the letter to be printed, which are often found on the media web site. There is often a word limit. Include your name, address, and phone number so they can confirm you are the writer.
- Tie the healthcare topic in with some education about The New York Health Act #medicare4all and why universal healthcare is such an urgent issue, possibly including a personal experience. For example, a physician will likely have anecdotes about how the broken health system affects their patients.
- Conclude with an ask, typically to activate someone to do something: a politician to support the New York Health Act, or for people to get involved in an upcoming event, etc.
Don't get discouraged if your first submission does not get printed. Like with all revolutions, persistence wins out. I have often even contacted the editor directly and asked why my letters were not printed.
Finally, have fun with it! It's nice to see your name in print.
Letters to the Editor from New Yorkers supporting New York Health (list in progress! Email a link of your published letter to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Single-payer system provides care incentives, Steve Keller, Albany Times-Union, August 11, 2017
- Profits should not drive health care, Ahmed Nizar, Auburn Citizen, August 10, 2017
- Support 'single-payer' health care in New York, Catherine Wolf, Albany Times-Union, August 7, 2017
- Time for health care for all, Helen Krim, The Riverdale Press, August 4, 2017
- Adopt Medicare for all as a solution to health care issue, Bryan Bunch, Poughkeepsie Journal, August 2, 2017 (national focus)
- Give universal health care a chance, Muguette Martel, Albany Times-Union, July 30, 2017
- Single-payer plan best health care delivery, Lawrence Cutter, Middletown Times Herald-Record, July 26, 2017 (national focus)
- A call to sponsor the NY Health Act, Dr. Sunny Aslam, Binghamton Press and Sun-Bulletin, July 23, 2017
- NY Health Act isn't so scary, Sarah Outterson-Murphy, Binghamton Press and Sun-Bulletin, July 23, 2017
- NY Health Act would save billions, David F. Lehmann, Auburn Citizen, July 21, 2017
- Single-payer health care would save money, lives, Sarah Outterson-Murphy, Oneonta Daily Star, July 20, 2017
- Senate should pass NY Health Act, Ethan Bodnaruk, Auburn Citizen, July 19, 2017
- Single-payer health care would benefit business, Carla Nordstrom, Oneonta Daily Star, July 18, 2017
- Sen. Little numbers are questioned, Agata Stanford et al, Glens Falls Post-Star, July 17, 2017
- Health care needs to be a priority, Charles A. Gowing, Auburn Citizen, July 12, 2017
- Single payer health plan would benefit our area, Michael Kaufman, Oneonta Daily Star, July 11, 2017
- Truly try to fix US healthcare, Ron Widelec, Long Island Newsday, July 11, 2017
- Senators should back progressive bills, Julienne Verdi, Staten Island Advance, July 6, 2017
- Argument against single-payer health care flawed, David Craig, Ithaca Journal, July 6, 2017
- We can reduce drug prices with single-payer program, Kathleen Warren, Buffalo News, July 6, 2017 (national focus)
- National health care makes the most sense, Sean Kaczmarek, Buffalo News, July 6, 2017 (national focus)
- Seeking aid through proposed health bill, Agata Stanford, Glens Falls Post-Star, July 3, 2017
- Senate bill shows need for single payer, Esther Confino, The Island Now, June 29, 2017
- Health Insurance is important, Judith Esterquest, Manhasset Press, June 28, 2017
- Nation needs a single payer health care system, David Minch, Poughkeepsie Journal, June 26, 2017 (national focus)
- Single-payer healthcare would benefit Americans, Richard Clements, Buffalo News, June 27, 2017
- The time has come for universal healthcare, Susan Woods, Syracuse Eagle News, June 23, 2017
- New York Health Act needs a public push, Terri Roben, Schenectady Daily Gazette, June 22, 2017
- Understanding various health care options, KJ Walters, Middletown Times Herald-Record, June 21, 2017 (national focus)
- Consider the savings with single-payer care, Judith Esterquest, Washington Post, June 20, 2017 (national focus)
- Urging Senator Bonacic: Support NY Health Act, Dr. David Nidorf, Middletown Times Herald-Record, June 20, 2017
- NY Health Act is the best option, Patricia Sprott, Schenectady Daily Gazette, June 19, 2017
- Single-payer is the way to go, David Minch, Middletown Times Herald-Record, June 18, 2017 (national focus)
- Lawmakers should pass New York Health, Kathleen Haggerty, Buffalo News, June 16, 2017
- Thanks to Trumpsters, people will die, Justin Latus, Utica Observer-Dispatch, June 15, 2017
- Healthcare Debate Misses Key Point, Gioia Shebar, Middletown Times Herald-Record, June 14, 2017 (national focus)
- Urge lawmakers to support single-payer, Glenn Sanders, Schenectady Daily Gazette, June 13, 2017
Single Payer Health Care is Doable, multiple letters, The New York Times, June 12, 2017
- Time for single payer health care, Esther Confino, The Island Now, June 8, 2017
Medicare for all is the healthiest solution, Tom Ellis, Schenectady Daily Gazette, June 8, 2017 (national focus)
- NY State's Health Act could be answer, Tony Del Plato, Finger Lakes Times, June 6, 2017
- Ask senators to approve New York Health, Laura Potts, North Country Now, June 6, 2017
- Ritchie should support NY Health Act, Karen M. Johnson-Weiner, Watertown Daily Times, June 3, 2017
- Urge Sen. Ritchie to vote yes on NY Health Act, Michele O'Donnell, North Country Now, June 1, 2017
- Health care is a right, not a privilege, Scott Brinton, Long Island Herald, June 1, 2017
GOP healthcare bill leaves too many uninsured: Urge elected officials to support 'Medicare for all' at state, national levels, Dr. Sunny Aslam, Syracuse.com, May 30, 2017
Push State Senate to pass healthcare bill, Peter Looker, Schenectady Daily Gazette, May 29, 2017
- Faso must change ways regarding single payer system, Michael Kaufman, Oneonta Daily Star, May 26, 2017
- NY Health Act bill could benefit many, Gary Siegel, Middletown Times Herald-Record, May 15, 2017
Senate should vote for NY Health Act, Tracy Frisch, Glens Falls Post-Star, May 13, 2017
Sign for NY Health Act, Sarah Outterson-Murphy, Walton Reporter, May 10, 2017
Universal Healthcare is the Best Bet for Us, Sarah Outterson-Murphy, Oneonta Daily Star, April 27, 2017
- Sen. Seward must step up to protect upstate interests, Leslie Berliant, Oneonta Daily Star, March 24, 2017
All people are entitled to quality healthcare, Sandy Przbylak, Buffalo News, February 2, 2017
- Universal healthcare would solve crisis of uninsured, Dr. Richard Weiskopf, Kaye Jager RN, Dr. Joel Potash, Syracuse.com, September 26, 2017